+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Never Ending Game Update Thread

As most of you know I don't talk or even hint about NEW features to the game until at least 2 weeks after they've been in circulation. However I do make updates on things almost all the time, and most updates are things people will never ever notice. This thread is for such previews on improvements, noticed and unnoticed, and updates after the fact.

On the front burners: (Things I'm actively working on)
    • Item Validation and Expiration

Change Log:
    2014-09-15: Retire the old HUDs, Changes to Alden, and Daily quests.

2014-08-20: Wastelands Experience Keys Beta

2014-07-29: Buzzards are back!

2014-04-25: Added some fish items to Sauls trade offers.

2013-10-5: 10 new Halloween candies, and the Candy Masheen.

2013-09-18: Aeg's Cinder Block Stew.

2013-05-19: Many "under the hood" minor updates and changes over the course of the last week.

2013-05-12: New starter quest, Pugilistic Weapons and new items.

2013-04-09: Salvage Masheen Update.

2013-03-14: Fixed that error(200) issue.

2013-01-20: Bows.

2012-12-16: Giftmas has started! Six collectables collectable through salvage and traders.

2012-11-29: Aegs' Bloodmoss Stew!

2012-11-28: Fixed Rustmouth, added a lottery system to ensure it doesn't completely fade away, but those who have recently cured themselves are exempt from the "lottery", but are still able to contract it normally.

2012-11-26: Edited and moved the inworld hosted services to new servers, and the web stuff as well.

2012-11-22: Foodmas with some new recipes and items!

2012-11-16: Perfectly Preserved Twonkies will no longer spawn or be traded.

2012-11-14: Seasons of Withering / Hoarding, and BIG salvage changes!

2012-11-11: Major and Minor Trader Changes.

2012-11-06: Joseph is here!

2012-10-??: Several new items were secretly added mid-october, I can confirm today 2012-11-02, that they have been discovered.

2012-10-11: The Big HUD Update!

2012-10-05: Resident only beta test of the new Wastelands HUD!

2012-09-19: Saul will now accept food and other things as trade for food. Oh and let's not forget Trader Scrit!

2012-09-14: BETA Immersion HUD Testing

2012-09-05: Potential fix for status 503 errors on new traders/doktor/water.

2012-09-02: Weapons renamed with number suffixes now no longer error out on a declined trade.

2012-09-01: Trader Alden is here!

2012-08-21: Salvage spawns smarter, and in reachable places when on water!

2012-08-20: Rustmouth is now fatal.

2012-07-31: Fixed a minor bug with the traders involving region restarts.

2012-07-25: Disease backend update to fix the "No really, I'm cured, please stop killing me" problem.

2012-07-23: Scythejaw the Surplus Trader

2012-07-16: Fix Rustmouth Cure

2012-06-27: Updating the Traders
    • Another Full rewrite of the trader system, because SL kinda broke the last one.
    • Based on the modular "Aeg the Doktor" code.
    • Smart off-grid item picking.
    • Brand new flavor text system, with 200% more flavor text added.
    • The ability to tell him to "Shut up" -- to mute flavor text.
    • 3 minutes to rez things and trade.
    • Trade once every 18 hours.

2012-05-07: The Rustmouth Epidemic
    • A new form of recipe combination device (Aeg the Doktor)
    • A new item turn-in goal tracker (The trade boxes near Aeg)
    • A new type of limited resource (Dirty Water)
    • A new type of loot mechanic (Chop and then Chem A the plants)
    • Dynamic diseases!
    Last edited by NeoBokrug; 09-15-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

thx.
    its nice to be able to see what is going on.

also. dont forget new recource plants
    I eat your Face.

Default The Rustmouth Epidemic

So about Rustmouth...

Before Hambone and Malady went offline we were already working on this "feature". Those regions going offline only delayed it's release. Diseases and illnesses are something we've always wanted to do with the game; however until some new functions came to the grid we weren't able to do it without a major update to the current system. Those functions did come and it took about a week to hack together the very basics of how it all worked. I say hack -- in that is it indeed sort of one giant big kludge of the current system. It took about another two weeks to figure out how we wanted to do the cure, write the code, and make the assets. So then Rustmouth was born, and we wanted it to be the big bad disease that'd threaten everyone's lives.

Tralala and that pig were the "seed" patients. Since then (about 2 months now), 83 people have been infected. Since the cure was released, about 20 of those infections have been cured.

The Way Rustmouth Works
    When a person has the disease, they begin to show signs of it with flavor text both to themselves, and anyone else wearing a HUD nearby. Witnessing flavor text as a non-sick individual doesn't guarantee that you contract the illness, but if you witness it there is a small chance you will contract the illness. Some of the cool things about this is, I developed a system where only people wearing the HUD can see what's going on. This is far better than spamming local chat for non-game players. And there's two bits of flavor text! The first bit is what the person feels, the second bit is what a person sees (if they see anything at all). Early on, about 1/3rd of what a person feels is not witnessed by other people, things like a mild headache. On top of that, depending on how far long you are, you'll start to show more symptoms related to the disease. I know some symptoms are contradictory, such as being light-headed or a heavy headed -- but in all honesty that's what being seriously ill is like. It's a roller coaster of your body malfunctioning. Some of these symptoms are from when I went to the emergency room for my gallbladder.

With WLv1 I had almost no choice as to what I could affect on a person who was wearing the HUD, so we started out with bleed dots to enforce a max health cap. That was just too strong, so we changed it to flat damage. Actually we started out with poison dots in testing, but those were WAAAY too strong. The health cap was certainly a game changer for everyone, and I received a little flak about it. The WL games are pretty easy, and if people are going to suffer for a few months, in the end they'll be all the better for overcoming the challenge. The disease is also progressive, in that the longer you have it, the worse off you are.

In the future for WL2, we plan to affect things like player movement, player vision, health, hunger, hydration, endurance and more. I'm still working on that code to make it as modular as I can. Maybe we'll even make addictions (those can be hard).

But as soon as the cure was discovered I significantly lowered the infection chances.
    The Doktor Aeg RP and Events
    Fun fact: Aeg is short for Aegypiinae. We wanted to make sure the infection had spread befoe we introduced everyones favorite miracle worker. We also wanted to make him a "good guy", unerringly honest and trustworthy. It was very difficult for people to trust a new stranger to the Wastes. Even them some people still didn't trust him. We also wanted to use Aeg as a focal point for testing things and getting in character feedback about the illness.

We also wanted to test how the community would react to a sort of "drive" in resource gathering. We had several collection bins. Two were for the plants, and one was food food. The food was filled really really fast, which in hindsight said I should have maybe doubled what I was asking for -- and that perhaps food isn't as useful as I wanted it to be.

Turning in plants however, was very interesting. It was good, bad, and ugly. The good being that I saw a lot of people who hadn't RPed before start to RP, and that usually secluded groups coming out of their normal hangouts to help for the greater good. Tip of the hat to you Black Market for coming out of the JY to RP, and donating the most plants, even your very last ones. Some say you have ulterior motives, but I think you guys did a good job.

The bad being, I saw only a handful of people try to turn a profit on an event that was meant to bring the community together. I'll admit that in any micro-economy game like ours, that anything new will be worth a lot to some people. I think the only downside to it is it delayed the cure being found.

The ugly being, I saw quite the opposite of what I expected of normally outgoing groups. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Everyone is hurting game-wise, and like any survivalist situation, sometimes you gotta look out for your own.

In the end Doktor Aeg called upon the few people that he saw making significant and generous donations to share the recipe with, prior to the notification of everyone else in this post.

All in all Doktor Aeg helped in testing the following systems:
    • Turn in buckets
    • Dynamic, non-expiring but random spawn limited resources (the plants)
    • Static limited resource gathering (Dirty Water)
    • A new salvage server
    • A new base code for the "salvager"
    The Recipe for the Cure of the Disease
    1. Acquire two Green Prickly Ball Cactus and two Scarlet Spikeflower, two Cinder Blocks, two Empty Glass Bottles, two Hunks of Rubber, two Cloths, and a Turkey Buzzard Leg.
    2. Visit Doktor Aeg, and use him to produce and Empty Flask with the following ingredients -- Empty Glass Bottle, Cloth, and Hunk of Rubber. Make two flasks.
    3. Take these flasks to where the lava meets the water in the Great Fissure, and hope there's some water available. If water is available, you should have a Flask of Dirty Water. Get two flasks of dirty water. If no water is avaialble, try come back later to get some. The water is a LIMITED resource.
    4. Go back to Doktor Aeg and, use a cinder block and two Green Prickly Ball Cactus to produce two Sticky Green Mash.
    5. Use a cinder block and two Scarlet Spikeflower to produce two Viscus Red Paste.
    6. Use a Flask of Dirty Water and two Sticky Green Mash to make a Flask Full of Green Sludge.
    7. Use a Flask of Dirty Water and two Viscus Red Paste to make a Flask Full of Red Slime.
    8. Finally, use a Flask Full of Red Slime, a Flask Full of Green Sludge, and a Roasted Turkey Buzzard leg to make two doses of the cure.

The Future of Rustmouth
    There's no doubt Rustmouth will be cured on it's own in time. As of yesterday 25% of all infections have been cured, and that's only about 3 weeks in. By time Rustmouth makes another appearance after being cured, the cure should be readily available or easy to acquire.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

Default The New and Improved Traders

Here's a link to how the new traders work, and what to expect.

As of today there is still just the food trader, as I am still monitoring him for any wonkyness.

I will update this post when I put the Surplus trader down, and the Big Ticket Trader down.

Default Rustmouth Cure Fix and More

Rustmouth Cure Fix and More:

The Problem:
    As I mentioned about a week ago in a group notice, there was a bug with the cure for Rustmouth where it wouldn't work all the time on homestead regions. As is, it'll probably work -- but there's not guarantee. You should update yours if you can. See below! Technical: The object would llDie(), and the listen event would lose the key of the cure object. In all honesty this may be a bug on LLs side, but I should have been crazy-OCD about passing information and checks because this has happened to me in the past.
    The Solution:
    Get OCD on the LSL end and server end of things. Add all the flavor text and a bunch of error catches. Sorry about the delay of this fix! RL Birthday, entertaining distractions, and illness kept me from working on this in a timely manner.
    The Difference:
    There is one visible difference between the old rustmouth cure, and the new one, it is on the description line.
    • Old Rustmouth Cure Description: BV: 43 (Rustmouth Cure)
    • New Rustmouth Cure Descriotion: BV: 43 (The Cure for Rustmouth)
    Updates:
    • Rustmouth will not cure you and be consumed if you don't have the illness.
    • When you drink it, you'll get some flavor text.
    • If there's an error it will let you know with more flavor text.
    • You can update your old rustmouth cures to the new more reliable ones by doing the following -- Pretend like you're going to craft something with Doktor Aeg, and rez your cures (up to 5 of them) and submit as a recipe. He'll give you the newer updated ones when the recipe fails.
    p.s. Soon Doktor Aeg will share rather interesting food recipes from places he's visited.
    Last edited by NeoBokrug; 07-16-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Thumbs up Scythejaw the Surplus Trader

I've added a new trader to the game. He's good for trading things you don't need or have too much of, into things you might need. He will not trade you food, medkits or weapons, as that's other traders jobs.

Here's the clip from the wiki page.
    Surplus Trader's rate: 6 to 1
    Max BV: 300

The Surplus Trader comes from parts unknown -- some suspect over the seas. He's an unusually smart manimal named Scythejaw who's been ordered by the Trade Boss to set up shop near the stygian caldera. In comparison to Saul's attitude he's downright friendly. He's come to the Wastelands to prove himself, make a profit, and deals in random scrap. He'll gladly take almost anything you offer, and once you're done he'll make an offer for a trade. Scythejaw doesn't accept common items, that is, anything less than BV: 6.
    The traders wiki article has also been updated.

Fixed a minor traders bug involving region restarts. "(i503)"

Seems like the URL for the home server was still valid, and not 404 -- but was returning a 503 error? I dunno. I applied an ugly patch, should work.
    Last edited by NeoBokrug; 07-31-2012 at 11:35 PM.

...hope this is the right place for this... I had some problems making The Cure today... first the Cloth+Bottle+Rubber made x1 Flask only at Aeg's, not x2 as listed above. Then, when I went to fill it in the Fissure, I rezzed in the water and got text saying "you look around for clean water" but never got a filled Flask, in fact never saw the Flask again... any way to get that Flask back...? he'p me!

silly me, I tried again. Same thing, rezzed Flask in water, got this text:

[08:41] WL: Hot Murky Water: You spend a moment looking for a particularly clean spot of water...

then... nothing. what am I doing wrong?? :-/

Hmm, I went to go test and I could do the same thing you did. Rez some bottles, no nothing. It's a bit troubling in that this script has very OCD levels of error reporting -- yet it's not saying anything is going wrong. It's as if the reply from the server is being dropped, and not triggering the response event. HTTP has always been problematic for SL.

A script reset fixed it, but I don't know the root of the cause.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast