+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

the potato war

Because I've gotten a few IMs regarding the quest cooldown times as of late, I've decided to address a few concerns. Please bear with me.

During the past month in my spare time, I've been working on tuning up the virtual machine that hosts the bots in an effort to free up more memory and make it a tad less crashy. The good news is I know what makes it crash and can totally avoid that from here on out.

I am also trying to free up more memory so I can add a few more bots to the estate. Alden is next, he's not gunna move around much at all but he's a bit more complex because of his quests. But it would be nice for him to have sit animations, and maybe wander around the shack.

Which sort of brings us to the meat of the most recent concern of residents who don't own land, but do play the game. It may appear that I've extended quest times, but the most recent compile of Aldens scripts actually CORRECTS an overlooked and unreported bug. Quest times are supposed to be 38 hours for non-residents, and they can STILL reduce it to 12 hours through normal scavenging. I don't know what the delay was before things were corrected (bad testing on my part), but it's correct now.

In all honesty, I haven't touched Aldens logic code other than to make it more modular so I can publish it to the other bots. Refactoring it must have made it all correct.

Sorry for all the confusion.

While I'm here, if you have more ideas for the rumors that any of the NPCs chat about, I'd be glad to update their vocabularies. Post your ideas here.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

can the rumors be limited to a serten time?
    they could for example spread rumors of comming events that are welln known by date like wl birthday, halloween, gathering of the tribes, the rondyvoo and such. but doesnt make sence to spam these all trough the year but maybe just a month befor they happen.
    I eat your Face.

Default Non-landowners

At a risk of potentially becoming incredibly unpopular, I have a bit of an opinion to toss in about the whole cooldown difference for landowners vs. 'visitors' thing.
    Our game has always been free for everyone, but I've always considered land-owners to be the premium players. They get special gifts during foodmas and events, better rewards from the healing masheens, access to betas of game content, etc. I think this solution is fair, because it is essentially the land-owners who are supporting the games development.
    Supporting those who toss in money to help develop the game is a great idea. Now here is where I see a massive, MASSIVE fault in this idea.
    I always try to donate to events I visit, whether it's a music show, Movie Night, whatever. But I am a disabled woman living on a single income, unable to work, in a situation where money is a very huge thing to balance. Long before I can consider renting a piece of virtual land, I have to consider that we need our heating/AC to be on, have food in the kitchen for mealtimes, and to brace in case of emergencies. My major expense is medication, which if I don't get, could potentially kill me.

So I try to toss in 10L to every event, and if I can afford it, to the land of whoever's hosting. I feel bad if I can't. Now this measly 10L is nothing to the expensive rent (which I think is totally fine and fair, rent should be set by the owner of the land as they think is fit) but I believe this SHOULD be considered supporting the venue/entertainer/event/whatever. If there was a general way to donate to the WL, I'd be all for it. Even if I had the option to donate 70L a week to the system, it's better than getting 0L from me.

Hence... when you make the comment that people who rent land as the ONLY folks who contribute... it's rather hurtful to us who would LOVE to someday be able to AFFORD fake land, but know we cannot due to real life being financially difficult, to be lumped into a category of non-contributors.

Perhaps consider a system where people like me who do want to toss in money now and then can, and then be listed as supporters. But I can't, of course, make anyone do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Masaka View Post
    Since I can't think of anything nice to say in reply to Koreki, I won't say anything and I'll simply walk away shaking my head...
    I hope this is sarcasm. Otherwise, I must wonder why you bothered to respond with anything at all.

It only takes 7 crates of post-quest looting to put you at less than 24 hours of wait time if you're a non-resident.

The initial rollout of the quests was a big clusterfuck when people started exploiting it. It was something I had worked on for months of my spare time, and the way it initially was made I put a lot of trust into people playing honestly. That bit me in the ass bigtime. Almost immediately, people who never played the game joined and starting rolling up alts to just quest all day. The reward for the time you put in questing was far greater than running for salvage normally. The quests are supposed to be daily quests and only a few people were exploiting normal functions of Second Life to take advantage of a game hosted in Second Life. I had to do SOMETHING, and I spent a few days trying to brainstorm ideas for it. Here were some of my ideas in no particular order:
    1. Turn daily quests into weekly quests.
    2. Scrap the whole system.
    3. Make it so only land owners could run quests.
    4. Have people "register SL accounts on the website".

I really hated every single one of those ideas. So I came up with a compromise. Everyone would have pay in time to make the most of these daily quests. Technically being a land owner is already sort of vouching for your accounts identity, which is why their wait time starts at 24 hours instead of 38. If you own land AND have an alt you're still going to have to run to grab 13 regular crates to get down to 12 hours wait time, or just wait longer between quests. The point is to either discourage people from rolling up alts to game the system, or "put feet on the sand". That is -- make alts liable for their game play, instead of them being only playing for 1/360th of a day.

As a non-resident, you still have the option to run down your quest timer to what everyone else has by playing the game normally. It even goes down if you loot crates WHILE on your quest. And if you're a resident you still have to run it down to 12 to make the most of it.

Trust me, this isn't a money grab. I could have monetized this game quite a long time ago but I haven't. 24 vs 38 hours of cooldown is more of a hat-tip to everyone who helps sustain and create the whole environment. Your presence and playing the game normally can reduce both timers to 12h resident or not. So of the ideas I had thought of to correct a very serious game breaking thing, this solution, to me, seems the most fair.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

Quote Originally Posted by CCindy View Post
    can the rumors be limited to a serten time?
    they could for example spread rumors of comming events that are welln known by date like wl birthday, halloween, gathering of the tribes, the rondyvoo and such. but doesnt make sence to spam these all trough the year but maybe just a month befor they happen.
    Technically they could, but I would have to do more work on their "vocabulary" scripts. Throw me some ideas.

/me dusts off this thread...

Improved Classic Melee Update

Improved melee weapons swing twice as slow, but hit twice as hard, and have twice the chance for DoTs if they had any to begin with. The update also brings a total of over 30 new sounds, and two new animations sets. We also hope to have updated weapons down to 1 or 2 LI at the very most, so you can display them in your shops without boxing them up.

They still use the same psuedo ray cast methods of the old weapons, but animations and sounds provide better feedback to actual hits. That is to say we looked at all the frames of the new animations, descided where it's impact is, and adjusted the old raycast systems functions just a little to match them.

The result is a system that feels SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate, because the animations and points of impact now match up with when the damage is applied. The new sounds also give appropriate feedback if you hit or miss your target.

There are two distinct animation sets now. "Slashing weapons" have their own animation set, as opposed to "Clobbering" weapons. Slashing is horizontal, while clobbering is more vertical. They each have different impact delays, so this will make each weapons playstyle even MORE distinct.

Also, the update resolved the old issue if they "break" on a region cross or teleport.

With all that out of the way, I am proud to announce the following weapons have been updated:
    WL: Clobberin Stick*
    WL: Vicious Clobberin Stick*
    WL: Flayer

* Because we were excited to get this out, we only saw some cosmetic issues with updated sticks after the fact. So there are multiple types of mesh versions in the wild.
    The following brand new weapons also use this system:

WL: Scavengers Axe

We will continue to update this list as we make updates.
    Updated Clobberin and Vicious Clobberin sticks can be identified as follows:

If they're made out of prims, they're old and should be updated. They are prone to the teleport/region cross break.
    If they're made out of mesh, but sound like fistwraps when you hit and swing, they should be updated. The animations do not match impacts.
    If they're made out of mesh, but sound like you're hitting a meaty head with a bat, you're good.

To update your old weapons: Visit any crafting masheen in the estate. Start it up like you're going to craft a new item. Rez up to 5 items to be updated on it and click craft. You will get updated items on the failed craft.

If you have old broken weapons that need to be updated:
    1. Create a folder in your inventory, rename it with "YOURNAMEHERE - Broken Weapons", and put all your BROKEN weapons in it.
    2. If NeoBokrug Elytis is ONLINE, send him an IM to request an exchange, but don't send anything yet.
    3. Once I say it's okay to do an exchange, offer me that folder of weapons you made.
    4. Please be patient, as it will take me a while to verify them all.
    5. I will send you exchanges one can at a time.
    Last edited by NeoBokrug; 04-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The%20Wastelands/241/174/74

This sounds really rad, and I can't wait to bash some stuff. Thanks for all you do, especially the bashy things.