+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CCindy View Post
    first, the crates say in open chat that you are to far away when u try to pick up one that belongs to someones quest (not urs) so the text might have to be changed to make clear its a quest crate and ur not doing it wrong.
    I had a crate tell me I had to be wearing the hud to interact with it. Don't know if it was someone else's quest crate (I was on an errand in that region) or if it was an SL glitch.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

AKA:
    Beatrix Washborne "A rabbit? In the wastes?"
    Clint/Clara Dimitriaski "That cat."

If you touch someone else's crate you should have a message like this: "This crate looks really dangerous. For your own safety you probably shouldn't touch it -- unless someone was paying you enough."
    I noticed some SL issues this week, like "eaten" rezzed objects, or scripted objects who didn't works. Maybe next rr will fix it.

If a crate just disappears when you touch it, it's that ghosted object bug from Project Interesting.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

Buzzard still made my hud go disabled (flying/moving too fast)

Got him anyways.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

AKA:
    Beatrix Washborne "A rabbit? In the wastes?"
    Clint/Clara Dimitriaski "That cat."

Those buzzards are griefers, and they're going to get theirs soon. They are absolutely the next thing on my list, after I finish what I am working on.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

During the last community meeting, we highlighted the fact that people were using alts to exploit the daily quest system. The rewards for the daily quests are very generous, and we have plans to add more quest varieties and adding more quest givers (multiple quests per day). But we really don't want the minority of abusers to exploit that, especially in a free game.

We didn't want to take away or reduce the rewards for the quests, because that would punish everyone. I asked around from a lot of people, including the devs, and people who don't even log into SL, just to figure out what should be done. To be honest I didn't really like any single answer, so I did what any Wastelander would do. I combined the answers in the masheen to form a completely new answer.
    • Quests and trades now have separate timers. If you've done either, you will see how much time is remaining.
    • If you are a current resident and you start a quest, your quest cooldown will start at 20 hours.
    • If you aren't a current resident and you start a quest, your quest cooldown will start at 38 hours.
    • Current residents are people who actively own land here and now; being a member of the landowners group has no impact.
    • Both residents and non-residents can reduce the quest cooldown by looting crates. Each crate you loot will reduce your cooldown by 2 hours to a minimum of 12 hours wait time. (That maths to 5 crates for residents, and 13 for non-residents)
    • If you have a cooldown that is above 12 hours, the crate will tell you what your new wait time is.
    • When multiple quest givers are part of the game a crate will only reduce the cooldown of one of them, typically in a specified order.

Our game has always been free for everyone, but I've always considered land-owners to be the premium players. They get special gifts during foodmas and events, better rewards from the healing masheens, access to betas of game content, etc. I think this solution is fair, because it is essentially the land-owners who are supporting the games development. Originally I had planned for non-landowners to just have extended cooldowns, without the ability to reduce the cooldown via playing the game. The adjustment to the timers by leveraging land-ownership should discourage using alts, but I don't think it will entirely eliminate them. So I am going to say it here and now:
    If you use alts to abuse the questing system and we find out, you will receive ONLY ONE warning to stop what you're doing. If we believe you're STILL abusing the game after the warning, all accounts associated with the abuse (alts and main) will be permanently game-banned. If you're using alts now (and I know of a few who are), it's best to not even get the one warning. You've been pre-warned!

Formalities aside, I just want to express that I'm deeply saddened by people who abuse the game for personal gains. I shouldn't have to always worry about these things but the game exists in Second Life, where people have vastly more freedoms than traditional MMOs allow. The freedom to wear any scripted content, or create alt accounts has always been the biggest thorn in my side. I spend endless hours coding all this up for people to enjoy. I feel like 50% of the time I need to code in countermeasures for people who think they're being sneaky or clever. This time around it is quite literally the case because I spent 3 days making the questing system, and now I've just spent 3 days correcting it because people want to exploit it. The system wasn't flawed from the get-go because I trusted people to make the right choices.

When people pull this kind of shit, it seriously kills my motivation and love for making new and fun things for everyone. It becomes more of a chore than I want it to be; it's just a big gruelling slowdown to address a minority that has the capability to do the most damage. So before you're tempted to get a leg up just because you can, think of how you're slowing down game development. I had planned on working on new quests, but I had to work on all this instead. I know you all love the game, that the majority of you are legit players, and sometimes it's the only light at the end of the tunnel.

p.s. In addition to this update, I am taking a blind stab at mitigating ghost crates. We'll see if it works.

As one of the ye ole wastelanders who is an on again off again resident, I fully support the quest timer change. With the rate of salvage spawning any active player should imo have no problem getting their timer down to 12 hours before 12 hours is up. Good job coming up with a fix in such a short time too.

Paradise, The Junkyard/Catskill Mts NY, USA

Although I've been around for awhile, I don't go on quests or, sadly, even seek out salvage anymore. But if I ever do again, I want to know that I'm on a level playing field. I appreciate the mods to quests and the sentiments behind them. It really bites that a few calamitous folks can take so much spirit out of good people and the creations they make available to the rest of us.
    we are all lying in the mud but some of us are looking at the stars

That sounds pretty reasonable, honestly! I appreciate that you didn't just nerf the quest rewards - or kneejerk can the quests entirely, or try to disallow ALL alts for ANY purpose - and that you didn't set it up so that only the non-landowners have to run around to reduce their cooldown to 12 hours.

Even if it DOES end up being hard to scavenge enough crates to bring the cooldown to 12 hours, or someone doesn't have the time to do anything but a Daily Quest, and they're butthurt that they have a 38 hour cooldown... well, I'm tempted to cordially invite them to cram it. Seriously, you could have introduced these as 48 Hour Quests at the outset, and we would still have been gung-ho about it -- because, holy shit guys, quests and some weird new status things and AUGH BEES! (Oh yeah, and some nice loot, in the end.) Even if the worst-case scenario is that you have to wait a day and a half to quest again, the quests themselves are still awesome, and it still adds a lot to the gameplay.

Plus, hey, it doesn't hurt to get more boots / paws / barely-flesh-covered metatarsals on the ground.

...And believe you me, if I'm trying to earn down my quest timer, and some fucko barely gets to a crate before I do... I'm gonna feel a little stabby.

Ain't it convenient that the Quest rewards are so often Medkits....
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

Well as a non resident it took me about 30-40 minutes of scavenging boxes to get my timer back to 12 hours from 38 hours. enough to deter people form doing it 20 times on alts but not so bad that it is off puting to a normal player.