+ Reply to Thread

Default What're the current feelings on child avatars?

I read an old thread about the same topic, which said that child avatars are acceptable when played within a certain context (ie. not an annoying toddler). But I thought I'd check up on the current climate.

Before anyone starts hissing and spitting acid, the character I'm playing is a preteen, and I'm a big fan of post-apoc fiction and gaming. In an apocalypse, there is no innocence and chhildren of a certain age would be expected to start carrying their weight and be seen as little adults (not unlike how children were viewed throughout history).

So with genre appreciation and not a toddler in mind, how would a child avatar be currently viewed? Yes? No? Soft acceptance?

Thanks.

You could try tossing an IM to PanPot or Bluelacroix about their experiences. Both have played kid avs here for a fair while, and they might be able to give you a little more information about what's worked for them and what sorts of things they've had difficulty with.

But, in my outsider's perspective... the way I'd view a child avatar is like the way I'd view any character: it depends on how you play! Annoying toddlers are right out, in my view; if they start typing in baby-talk, I want to stomp their milk teeth down their throat. But A preteen character who's aware of their limitations - that is, to the extent that those limitations allow - but who wants to be as useful as possible? That'd be great! A character of ANY age who wants/needs to be coddled and taken care of? Probably gonna have a bad time.

It can be a hard line to toe, from what I've seen. On the one side, kids tend to have all that rambunctiousness, fearlessness, and seemingly boundless energy. They're more likely to act on impulse and they have trouble predicting consequences. This can be a great shot in the arm for roleplay - while the adults are worrying about A Vs. B, each side arguing from experience and logic, the kid tries Q because he feels like it!

But, on the other side, those same characteristics can make some kids into walking liabilities. If a kid character uses that reckless energy to consistently do the opposite of what he's told, to demand to be the center of attention, to demand that other characters go out of their way to help/protect/comfort/forgive him, to whine when he doesn't get what he wants, or to hurt/manipulate people and expect to get away with it... well, I know that Apo wouldn't care a bit if that kid became Sandworm Chow. Those are the kinds of kid characters that don't seem to go over very well. Personally, I tend to think of them as being played by adults who got told, over and over, that they were being childish - and who think that, by wearing a preteen avatar, they can somehow get away with being self-entitled brats.

In short, based on what I've seen, we're probably not going to treat your character all that much different just because you're a kid -- and it sounds like you wouldn't want that, anyway! "Childhood," as you said, is a relatively modern social construct, and the post-apocalypse is definitely not a scenario where children could expect to be mollycoddled. If your kid is just an interesting character - they have an interesting perspective, they're a hard worker, they're funny, they're resilient - then, sure, other characters will probably form some sort of bond! They'll care about your character's well-being, and maybe try to pass on some of their experience. But there's gotta be more to your character than just "Lookit Me, I'm A Kid."

The most crucial bit of advice I can give you, though, is to be absolutely clear on the difference between your in-character and out-of-character interactions. That's vital for any roleplayer, of course! But it's a line that I've seen blurred more often among child avs than among others, all else being equal. Being OOC doesn't mean you go from RPing a 10-year-old half-feral scavenger kid to RPing a 10-year-old modern kid; it means you aren't roleplaying at all. Please don't try to be an "always-on" character; it isn't seen as more 'committed' or more 'devoted' or more 'intense,' it genuinely just comes across as muddled, if not incoherent, and unreliable.

If you'd like someone to bounce specific character ideas off of, I'm more than willing to help give feedback! Good luck out there, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

" how would a child avatar be currently viewed? "

As buzzard bait!

On more serious note : Depends on the child's race also, i think for example ghoulkids would have more trouble with humans....

There have been a gang of childs here which imo where very much accepted by most other wastelanders...

Just beware the WLhud has a minimal height limit for it to be funtionable...

Also, please try and avoid running around with a flayer and other huge weapons, as it's just too unrealistic that a little kid could even lift that thing.
    Perhaps it's just me annoyed by that, I dunno

Wield what ya can heft. Harvey thinks I'm too dainty to sport a flayer
    Again make peace,
    Again give pardon,
    Forgive again and again . . .

The long rifles don't tend to look right, just because of the animations: the hands just don't reach the right places. But the melee weapons tend to look just fine to me. You can always decide for yourself that your character can't carry certain heavy things. But, especially if the character is older than 10 or so, and given the survival conditions... I'd be surprised if one didn't have that kind of strength.
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.