+ Reply to Thread

Default The Wastelands Roleplay Character Helper!

So I've been tooling with this for... kinda a rather long time, and I think it's just about ready! Or close enough for a first draft, anyway.

Allow me to present...
    The Wastelands Roleplay Character Helper!

There's a fair deal of info out there on roleplaying in The Wastelands: information on playable races, information on the sheer mechanics of emoting and avoiding metagaming and so forth. But it struck me that, though that stuff is undeniably useful, it's only part of the story: the real difficulty is in engaging with all that stuff and creating a character that doesn't just work within the world, but is a character you'd enjoy exploring this world with!

Ideally, The Wastelands Roleplay Character Helper will be a way for new (or old!) players to figure out how they prefer to approach character creation: What makes a character interesting? What do you care about? What do you care about having your CHARACTER care about?

In my utterly subjective observations, I've noticed four main approaches that new players seem to take when they're beginning to make a character - and this guide will hopefully help you figure out which approach you like best.

Based on that response, you'll answer a set of questions that should help you create a strong foundation for your character - based on what YOU consider fundamental.

After that, you'll have the option to check out the other three approaches - which may not be as important to you, but which can help you refine your character and become even more nuanced and well-rounded.

Fair warning: It's... uh... long. Especially if you go through the whole works. But there's no timer, and I don't think it will log you out in any way if you just keep the tab open as long as you need to.

As for other warnings... this is totally unofficial. Nothing about this is mandatory in any way, this isn't Dev-sanctioned somehow, this isn't an "application" or any bullshit like that. It's just a tool you can use if you like. But it's also designed to help make a canonical character - there's a section called The Minefield which helps identify some of the most common non-canonical character types, and tries to defuse them - not just saying "NO!," but giving explanations for why those things don't work for The Wastelands. (That section, if nothing else, might get spun off into its own, smaller quiz as well.)

I've given this a good going-over, and had a bit of feedback to help out so far, but it's entirely possible that there are still bad links or dead-ends. Or maybe some of the sections aren't fleshed out enough still. Oooor maybe the entire thing is just too specific and structured and unnatural, and it is a terrible idea all around! It's exceedingly possible! Hopefully, it does a little less harm than good, at least?

But I do hope it's helpful - or at least as diverting and amusing as, I dunno, a Buzzfeed quiz.

Happy character-making!
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

heya.
    i took a quick look over the sheets and so far it seems helpfull for the most part.
    i guess its very helpfull to visualize what my options are in serten character coises and actualy chose one to see where it leads.
    only thing im a little troblet woth is the personality thing, i think the list of adjectives is just way to long. maybe it can be boild down to eigher a shorter list by combining simmilar fields of adjectives.
    or change it entirely to something like "reaction to x or y situation" rank from a to b
    in any case. i would limit the list to not more than 10 lines. its one of these TLDR thingies u know. very overwelming.

also, minor thing from social role .. isnt shaman a hybrid of druid and priest if you think about it.
    maybe using broader archetypes might work better for this porpose anyways.
    the beliver
    the caretaker
    the healer
    the destroyer
    the brave
    i dont know...

also, maybe worth considering "what does my character enjoy" "..not like" "..fear" als optional fill in, just to get ppl thinking.

all in all .. wow that must have take quite a time to structure and collect.
    i think it works quite well as a guidance to get a rought idea of "hey .. what do i even want to play?"
    good work
    I eat your Face.

I was thinking that, with the adjectives - it's just weird since everything else has so much more to it. But I'll find the things that are near-synonyms and chop 'em out, I think.

Having more archetypes like that does sound good, though! I'll weave some of those in.

And yeah, the personality bit could definitely use a little more Q&A, I think. I'll see what I can do with it!

But thanks! I've just been poking at it off and on for... hm, probably around a year now. I knew it wasn't DONE done, but it seemed like it was finally functional enough to help.

Hopefully I'll be able to get those edits in this week!
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

Latest edits:

Some more adjectives culled, some more archetypes added in.

I realized that I had a thing that let people pick what aspect of their background to start with - Homeland, Family, or Relationships - but nothing that actually got you to pick which section to do next after that. So it should now be easier to get to every section after the end of all the others. (Or, I dunno, maybe I'll forego the pick-where-to-start thing and just railroad everyone through each section in order.)

Thinking about moving Deep Thoughts to the personality section, since it's not like that's inherently hitched to backstory, but it's real dang hard to move whole sections like that.

More changes are likely to come!

After 3 years of being off SL I have become extremely rusty when it comes to role playing and I don't have an official character background and honestly I'm not sure if I ever really had one. I read through this taking a few notes along the way and piecing some things together to prepare a bio for my character. Seeing how I've been in the Wastelands for a few years now I already know the basics and have a general idea of my character and what I want, so for the most part this helper got my brain juices flowing and was a helpful reminder of some things, once I started writing I ran with it. This is a very helpful in depth and detailed guide that I honestly enjoyed reading, some parts may have been a bit long but that's not really a big deal to me.

Great work and a great guide!
    "Vlad" signed in blood.

Hey, thanks! And welcome back!

I'm really glad this was useful! It's still forever under revision. I'm thinking about paring down the Perils And Perks sections - maybe even removing them? They feel particularly bloated - though I do think it can be valuable to be forewarned about what sorts of difficulties are endemic to certain approaches. I always err on the side of MORE WORDS, though: especially on something like this, I don't want to come across as bossy and arbitrary; I want to explain the rationale behind whatever I'm saying.

I actually made a couple more changes to the Adjectives just now! I added two new columns:

ANTITHESIS - for traits that your character intentionally tries to avoid at all costs. These aren't like the Hurdles that your character has, but is trying to get over - it's something that your character avoids or refuses so much that it's almost a character trait in itself. It might be a little redundant, since there are lists of "good" and "bad" adjectives - but some things just don't have a precise opposite, so it's good to be able to say "NOT THAT" to any given thing.

NOT APPLICABLE - this really needed a "meh" option. Some traits just aren't that big a deal for a character, or they don't really define themselves by having or lacking it. That might have been part of the overwhelmingness - not having the option to just say "Eh, that doesn't really matter to me." Hopefully, having an "I Really Don't Care" button for everything will help people self-select the however-many most important traits to them. That way, I won't have to go through and decide what I think the 10 most relevant adjectives should be to describe everybody. :S

I also pruned some more near-synonyms to get that full list pared down even more, though!