+ Reply to Thread

Default Return of the Post-Apoc Sock Hop - Saturday, September 10

Let's twist again, like we did last year!

I had a lot of fun with last year's Post-Apoc Sock Hop, and it seemed like other folks did, too. So how about a rerun!

Same as last time, the music will all be - more or less - Oldies. Each song must be from 1965 or earlier - or it can be a modern cover of an Oldies song, or an Oldies-style cover of a modern song - to preserve that sock-hop feel.

What the hell IS a sock hop, some of you might be asking? Basically, it's an informal dance for teenagers. Most popular in the 50s and 60s, sock hops were commonly held in school gymnasiums - where, to protect the nice wooden gym floor, the dancers would have to take off their shoes.

We don't have a nice wooden gym floor, but we DO have the old basketball court down in Old Suffugium!

As for what to wear... there are a few options!

Naturally, you can come as you are, as long as coming-as-you-are doesn't leave you nekkid below the belt. Please occlude thine genitals.

Or you can try to theme it up! Put a little grunge into a regular 50s look. Be an extra-greasy greaser! Wear a poodle skirt made from real poodle! Turn that rockabilly into apocabilly!

Or be a teenage version of your usual avatar for the night!

Or just take off your shoes and dance in some fun socks.

Or all of the above!

And, just for the hell of it, let's throw in some prizes this time:

L$500 each, along with a ridiculous trophy, for the Best Male Outfit and Best Female Outfit!

And L$100, and a different ridiculous trophy, to the single winner of Best Use Of Socks.

If you want to DJ, let me know here or drop me a line inworld! Last year, it was just a half-day event - but if it turns out longer or shorter this year, hey, whatever works.

Hope to see you there!
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

So, I think SL was eating some of my invites and IMs, but... of the people I did hear back from, none of 'em could make it! But I can't really reschedule this month, and I definitely don't want to cancel - so it's just gonna be me DJing. Much less awesome, but... better'n nothing, hopefully? >_<

That said...

The terrible trophies have been created!
    The prize money is burning a hole in my already-hole-riddled pants!
    A poster now exists!

So, starting at 4:00pm SLT tomorrow, in the ancient depths of Old Suffugium, let's hop to it.
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

Huge thanks to everyone who came out for this year's Sock Hop! There were some fantastic outfits, and it was tough to pick the winners of the Moldy Oldie and the Strategic Sock (and the two plots of land that Ccindy generously offered to donate to each Best Outfit winner!)

Best Male Outfit: Nino Bolissima

With the cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve, the 3D glasses, and the general gearhead look, this definitely fit my image of the extra-greasy greaser!

Honorable mentions go to Rax's poodle skirt ensemble and to Drifter's snappy bowler shirt (and temporary 1650s garb. Hosen Hoppe, indeed. :V )

Best Female Outfit: Lunesta Matova

Custom embroidered shirt! Grimy pink skirt with scuzzy socks! A hair scarf used to hold her rotting jaw on! Serious radness all around.

Honorable mentions go to Myotis's Tank-Girl-and-Taffeta ensemble, and Akiko's cat-eye glasses and HOLY SHIT GRENADE HAIR ROLLERS.

And the award for Best Use of Sock goes to Yulhe / U1QTJ's sock puppet avatar! Even if it did scare Irk away.

Thanks again for coming and twistin' the night away, in that twisted way we do!

And, hmm, it's almost time to start planning for TRIGGER TREAT, isn't it.... :3