+ Reply to Thread

Default The Trade Post is coming to an end

Hey guys, The Trade Post will soon be no more. It has been bankrolled for most its existence, in both incarnations, by MollyBlue Etchegaray. Its second incarnation was almost 100% funded by her, as I lack the financial resources for such an undertaking. Molly paid for the land while I paid for the objects to fill it up and created the build.

I can happily announce (on her behalf) that Molly, a beautiful soul and amazing woman, has reached the point in life so many of us hope to one day achieve and will be retiring to enjoy her days without the stress and burden of work. As such, she will no longer be able to fund The Trade Post and after long deliberation I've decided that it's time for Jubal Quintus to cease operation of The Trade Post as well as relinquish any lands owned.

On or about the 1st of February 2017 I will turn over the five plots of land in my name to members of the community. As of today I have 25 weeks of tier payment left so each plot will have a few weeks left on them. I have not yet decided if I want to distribute these plots via an RP event (unlikely, to be honest) or simply use a raffle format (which I'm leaning towards). I would welcome any feedback on the matter.

One thing I want to make very clear up front - I will not be accepting any money for my plots. They will be limited to one per person, they will be 100% free of charge (initially, at least, you have to pay tier once a plot is yours), and they will come with a few weeks of tier on them.

This is my final gift to the community, as I will likely log in less after The Trade Post is gone than I have in the past few years. I'm not going to say some big dramatic thing about how I'm leaving or anything like that, but life has moved on to the point where I have very little time or passion for SL in any meaningful way. I hope that my meager contributions to the community over the years have given a few smiles and maybe some fond memories. If I'm really lucky, Firecracker! Cola will live on without me. Either way, it's been a true pleasure and honor to be a part of this community for as long as I have, from Lemon to now.
    Last edited by JubalQuintus; 09-07-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Aw man. I'm glad Molly gets to heave off the yoke of work at last - and I hope she enjoys her newfound free time! And I know you've got a lot of exciting things going on of your own, and I hope you enjoy your upcoming LACK of free time.

And I'm glad we still get about five more months of Trade Post to enjoy in the meantime. It'll get to see the big 10-year anniversary festivities, and that's pretty damn fantastic. Hell, maybe we party so hard that, after one last drinking game, we end up destroying the place and much of the surrounding area in a hail of celebratory fireworks, gunfire, and exploding Turps barrels.

But, yeah, bit of a heartpunch. I've forever sucked at the commerce side of the game, so I never was much of a trader, but the original Trade Post was instrumental for me anyway. It was one of the first things my character got involved with. Seeing and participating in the rebuild was deeply satisfying, from the Great Container Haul to the OHGOD REDTREE BOTAN AUGH AUGH AUGH. Your effort and your attention to detail have come through in every aspect. Even though it's absolutely a community build and effort, it's something that will forever be linked with you. It, and you, will be remembered long and fondly.

There may be many trading posts, but there's only one Trade Post, which lived and died and lived again, helmed by Jubal Quintus.

Thanks for everything you've done, through all these years - and I hope we get to see you for a while more in the near future, while we can.

Also, join our Discord server, dammit; you're not getting away from us that easily. :P
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

Paradise, The Junkyard/Catskill Mts NY, USA

Default Salvation ind resurrection; This, too, must pass

Jubal, there is no way I can match your eloquence, creativity, or inspiriting love for the Wastelands, though I've tried, in my own small ways (not always with intended consequences). Between you, Face, Isam, Ridley, Barry, Neo, and a few others (not to forget the Iron Frog, Paradise, the TP, and the Tar Pit), the WL became my salvation at a strangely lost point in life. I felt like a drunk finding AA, with all the ups and downs that ensued. Thank you for your guidance, support, and vision-maintenance, but mostly, thank you for the grandeur of your endlessly reliable ethics and imagination. I've learned so much from you, all to the good.

What you are doing with the plots is only the most recent example of your laudable character (personally and virtually). I will miss the Trade Post, but have to fold my hand for now. Another game is holding a chair for me. None of it would have, or could have, happened without you.

PS - My apologies, for I know public acknowledgement is not the best forum, but it needed to be said here. And besides, you did it first, Teach. I hope that the WL endures forever.

Apo, you steadast champion of the WL, thanks for the good wishes.
    we are all lying in the mud but some of us are looking at the stars

Its sad, it always is.
    but i have so many good memories with the TP over the years. i will miss it, but i will never forget it.
    you all did very well! thank you!
    i feel without the TP a big thing will be missing, we will adapt, cause were are wastelanders.

also molly, enjoy your retirement, i realy cant wait to be there myself. uhh so many more years.
    not sure you remember that, but you were the first one i talked to in the wastes, back when i was just a nooby tourists. im prety sure if you didnt, i would not have sticket in the wastes. good times, when i got lost on my way back from the masheen in wl to paradise in jy
    I eat your Face.

I have decided to go ahead and close down the Trade Post. As of now it is gone. There was no real interest expressed in the free plots so I've put them up for sale at a greatly reduced rate. I'll abandon them in a week or two if no one purchases them. I've keep a mid size plot for myself by Molly's Diner and I'll be holding on to that indefinitely at this point. I'm hoping that the diner will stay as well, but that's up to Molly.

Well, shit.

I really thought we had until February before anything went anywhere, and I was going to arrange some sort of RP event / drinking-game-gone-out-of-hand to send the place out with a bang. Sucks hard to have it go suddenly in the night.

I really wish I could take on one of the plots to help keep something of it going, but finances are abysmal at the moment, and I'd just end up being unable to keep the tier paid long-term. I'll check things out, though - maybe I can afford one just long enough to throw some ruins down and do something to let it leave as it came about, through community storytelling.

It's wonderful that you're going to keep yourself a little plot, though. Even if you didn't, I hope you know that you and your creations are a permanent part of this place, whether they're currently visible or not. You've always worked hard, thought hard, and felt hard, and it's always been a challenge and an inspiration.

Thank you so much, Jubal, for having helped dream it all into being.

Wishing you all the very best in everything RL brings you! Take care of yourself out there.
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.