+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Wasteland Etiquitte?

Looked for a while, but swore I coudln't see any posts on this, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

I just got into the Wasteland a few days ago. When I heard about the general idea of a post-apoc sim where you salvage to create items, I thought it was an amazing idea.

What I'm wondering about, however, is the "etiquitte" of the Wastelands. I realize that you can at any point and for no reason at all kill anyone. But a few days ago I experienced an event where 4-5 of my friends and I (all new folks) were exploring and were attacked by a character. We playfully tried to fight him off for a few minutes and then ended up running. He caught up with us one sim over and we finally put him down.

At that point we decided to get out of there before he was fully healed and spent 5 minutes running about 3-4 sims away. Soon after, he caught up and proceeded to attack us until all our ammo was spent and we were all dead (one of us dead twice).

Again, I realize that folks can pretty much kill whoever they want, but this seemed a bit excessive to me. It's one thing to scare folks by taking their damage down to half and let them run off, knowing that they'll try to avoid you next time. But it's another to hunt them across the whole wasteland and then make them wonder what will happen the next day they log in and they'll get mindlessly attacked again for no reason, all night long.

I'm by no means trying to be a "complainer", but it really just am trying to find out if there is any etiquitte to being a "good wastelander".

hard question.

i would say it has something to do with respect and choosing opponents carefully.

its like that, when ppl know u better they are more gently, well not to speak for all.
    atm u are new that gives u a big red sign on ur head that says "kill me" caus ppl might look for easy prey or want to scare u some (that would be me i guess) or dono what.
    but once u showed ur no victim ur a wastelander things slowly change.
    well for most of us.
    (yes i know newbie old folks talk .. but i guess its true .. big thing here is having a decend reputation .. one that says .. he/she/it is ok)

what motivates ppl to run after a group of ppl to bring them down i dont know .. maybe rage or anger of being almost killed.
    i can just say, dont take it personaly, its just a game.

is there any etiquitte?
    i would say yes, but maybe im romantic.
    i would say for example .. if i see ppl talking or trading and it doesnt look like they plan to harm me i dont attack without real reasons (like if im in war with one of them ic)
    other thing would be .. i dont attack ppl that are obvious afk

i can just say .. dont to things to ppl u dont want others to do with uself.
    in the end its a game.
    a harsh and brutal one
    with not many rules.
    but were here to have fun.

if u remember how the person was called maybe ask nice for the resons, u never know.

just my opinion
    I eat your Face.

Thanks for the reply. The initial attack was a suprise, and we took it in good form and all part of the game. The character even commented on the "good job" in taking him down. But the relentless chasing that ensued was a bit annoying. It just came off more to me like a seasoned user trying to show off and "pwn noobs" for fun. Which unfortunately, is a bit discouraging for newer folks...especially if they're running away from you already.

But your approach about the wastelands seems exactly like mine, the whole "don't mess with folks unless you want messed with".

*shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
    What I'm wondering about, however, is the "etiquitte" of the Wastelands.
    I was often attacked when I first came to the Wastelands, perhaps this is a right of passage for us all. Is it good or bad, I guess it depends on the experience and if you eventually become a full fledged resident like myself.

Getting taken out a lot wasn't always pleasant, but I learned a lot and when I was able to stand on my own I took out a few of our better players *coughs* mutant witch *coughs* and learn more about other players fighting styles. It also helped me come out of my loner shell here in the Wastelands, because I was interacting with other residents and soon instead of fighting we were talking and I've made a few really good friends here.

As far as the HUD goes, as soon as you put it on it is an agreement between you and the game one of good faith that you realize you can and will be attacked at any time for any give reason. That means if someone doesn't like you're green shirt they very may well beat you to a pulp. Is it right? Maybe not, but take your lumps and learn how they fight... because you know what, sooner or later you'll be standing over them taking a snapshot of your first kill. And there is nothing as satisfying as taking out someone who used to beat you to a pulp.

Also one bit of advice I will give any newcomer. Please don't take off your hud when fighting with someone. If you frequently do this people will not want to interact with you. Especially after they end up wasting a round (or more) of bullets trying to kill you. I've been more than frustrated myself when people take off their huds and this is really bad etiquitte as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure if any of this has helped, but it is what it is.
    You know... you look like your head fell in the cheese dip back in 1957.

It may be a not so nice welcome.

but well thats the way it is.

and its not like it gets les hard later on, just different, les random.

and in a wile u will look back on that time and say "i had no chance but i used it, what a good time"

*in memory of the day she was killed first a long time ago*
    I eat your Face.

Yeah, it's just not so easy to take when you're on the business end of a machine gun. :P LOL

thats right, i know the feeling exactly

make the best of it whatever it is.
    I eat your Face.

I dont get to spend the 50-hours a week in WL as I used to (that can change this summer) but when I do get to the WL, I'm usually doing something on my land, building or changing something, so my HUD isn't even on.

I still get attacked, and I just stand there building. Some people are too uh...dumb to realize if I dont have a weapon on, and I'm not dying...MAYBE I dont have a HUD on.

Welcome to the WL. I've seen people hunt me for days, then I never see them again. No clue what thats all about. Real spooky when they dont talk, either.
    Come see me south central in The Wastelands sim. Follow my stories in the ROLEPLAY thread.

Default Let people know you don't have HUD?

Maybe a good "etiquette" idea is to put up a title if you are OOC or NO_HUD? People do use Ruin't to indicate RP but that does not mean HUD on, or off.

I know what Vissy means, if you are buiding it maybe smart to have HUD off, but it might also be good to let people know. Another approach is to build "up in the air" as no legit way to use HUD up there.

Really, if'n I have my HUD on I'm fair game? I thought I hadda have de role play title active? I use my Wastelander title 'cause I don' really role-play, but I do lotsa scavengin' so I awways wear my HUD.

I tink I'm openin' myself up to gettin' beaten up now, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast