+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

I concede that the time spent chasing was excessive, and I will not be doing that again. However, 'cheating' is not what transpired. You attempted to use a safezone to escape while you knew I had no intention of letting up. In the past, we ran in and smacked people down anyway when that happened, which was the entire point of this forum post to begin with. I was asking for a clear and cut rule from an admin so we would know for sure if this is allowed. Just for future reference, you could have easily dehudded. Once your numbers go green, it is okay, and even if I am chasing it's legal at that point. In the past people who tried to run to safe zones for protection were merely trying to poach salvage and avoid consequences, which was the reason I chased in the first place. It's how I've always done things. I apologize if I annoyed you to the point that you felt it necessary to insult me and become belligerent in IM's (which was the pertinent information you omitted from your account of what transpired), but this is not the time or place for this argument. As I said, my question is specifically on whether or not it is okay for one to run into the safezones just to escape, and I am not the only one who wants to know the opinion of the developers and community as a whole.

I still suspect the fight started in the first place from some sort of miscommunication, and possibly even miscommunication about who was in-character or not at the time. So first I'll just remind both of you guys that nobody ever has to RP; that it's an RPers responsibility to interact with OOC people without metagaming (and an IC RPer is often better off to pretend non-Ruin't-tagged people aren't even THERE); that you HAVE to have a Ruin't group tag up if you're RPing; and that RP is almost always performed in local chat. You can try to RP your way out of a fight before it starts, and it may or may not work.

Regardless of how it started, though, yeah, that didn't end well.

Traditionally, the Masheens have been a safe spot in the sense of "If you're already there, nobody can come up and beat you," not in the sense of "You can touch it like Home Base in a game of tag."

The fact that every avatar runs at the same speed -- unless you're already breaking a rule and using a movement assist -- does mean that things can turn into a dull game of chase, or that you're stuck trying to run away just to get five spare seconds to type to the person that, hey, you don't have time for a fight right now, or you forgot you had the HUD up, or to try to emote that your character is hiding or showing some sign of submission. It is mechanically impossible to successfully "run away" from someone who is right on your tail, in terms of one avatar's distance from the other.

But if you're getting hit THAT infrequently, the combat timer might actually expire, the HUD numbers might go green again, and you might not even have a penalty for dehudding mid-chase. Which, really, would be a reasonable standard for "This Person Has Escaped" -- even if it's just by a few inches, they've run far enough away from their pursuer, for long enough, that the pursuer can't hit them. That doesn't mean you "won" the fight, because they still chased you off. But they couldn't catch up, and they couldn't cut you down, so it's not as pure a win for them, either. And for the aggressors, well, if you can't kill someone after 30 minutes... dude, let it go. You're always free to START a fight in The Wastelands, but you're not always entitled to win it.

If this were Ye Olden Days, I'd say for the 'victim' to stay where you are and take your lumps, because you were only going to die for 90 seconds, then slowly heal up to full health over time afterward. The only penalty of dying used to be A) mild inconvenience and B) the knowledge that you were beaten.

But, now that you only heal up to 25% when you revive, and now that health regeneration requires scarce resources, getting knocked out has actual consequences -- so it's a lot more understandable that someone would want to avoid a fight. Especially novice players who don't have the resources to fight, or to recover well. The risk/reward balance has shifted, making certain playstyles a lot more aggressive and problematic now than in past years, even though they're still just as legal. People who adopt a more aggressive and confrontational playstyle shouldn't be all that surprised to find substantially more resistance.

However, now that we've got the food situation more smoothed out (at least hopefully,) that might shift the balance back again to make combat a little less "you're fucked out of days worth of scavenging if you die."

But, Annie, I noticed that you mentioned not having a weapon. When you got your HUD, did you see the little "mini-quest" to make the cloth fist wraps? They're not the strongest weapon in the world, but they're a weapon -- and trust me, if you've got some braincrazy Ghoul with a Kidney Burster charging at you, but you stand tough and fight him with just your fists.... that's pretty damn badass. You might not win, of course. But if the only reason you tried to avoid this fight was that you literally had no way TO fight back -- if you would have if you could -- get the wraps and give it a shot, next time someone threatens! If nothing else, your foe will probably admire your moxie -- and that counts for something.
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

Thank you for your input, Apo, and like I said, I do not plan on chasing like that any more, it's not worth the issues that it caused. I should have been thinking more thoroughly... New hud is punishing on death and even knowing that it's hard to break old habits >_>

Shoot first, trade later.

"The path of the righteous mutant is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil smoothskins. Blessed is she who, in the game of clarity and crowbill, shepherds the weak through
    the JunkYard, for she is truly her sisters keeper and the finder of lost crates. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is the Fireking when I lay my vengeance upon you!"

I agree with Dass - Annie, get your gun . . .

Again make peace,
    Again give pardon,
    Forgive again and again . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4