+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by theblackcloud View Post
    I've been using melee when I do have time to come in world as I'm growing tired of wasting bullets for the very same reason. So I'm a bit curious about who these folks are so when I do logon I'll know what to expect next time I cross them. Can someone post the faction or names if this information has indeed been verified.
    Is this for RP development, or being treated as something bad? If its not for deviant purposes, maybe some RP can come out of this to "fix" it?
    Come see me south central in The Wastelands sim. Follow my stories in the ROLEPLAY thread.

Quote Originally Posted by VissyAdamczyk View Post
    Is this for RP development, or being treated as something bad? If its not for deviant purposes, maybe some RP can come out of this to "fix" it?
    I haven't run across these people myself, but after talking to a few people, it seems they have their own agenda. From what I understand it is all shit and giggles to them. I could be wrong. And while I'd like to see these people held accountable for their actions a more simple solution is to simply not interact with them. Eventually they will get bored and move on.
    You know... you look like your head fell in the cheese dip back in 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by theblackcloud View Post
    And while I'd like to see these people held accountable for their actions a more simple solution is to simply not interact with them. Eventually they will get bored and move on.
    Yeah, sometimes that just seems like the only way to contend with it. If you fight back, the fact that they get a reaction is only encouraging them -- and besides, if 3/4 of the crowd isn't even wearing a HUD, and is only there for diversionary purposes, you're gonna end up chasing the wrong people anyway. I mean, I guess you could try to attack only the people who have a weapon in hand, as only they could be wearing the HUD, but all someone would have to do is unequip that weapon to be indistinguishable from the other tagged, unHUDded, unarmed people.

There's no real way of avoiding it, or punishing it when it happens, so yeah. Freezing them out by not interacting, ICly or OOCly, until they get bored with the endeavor, seems like the only recourse. :/

That's why I'm a little iffy on there being super harsh punishments for deHUDding during combat. If some dip comes up and starts whaling on me while I'm AFK, I'm OOC, or I otherwise just don't want to put up with their shit, I'd rather be able to deHUD, swap tags if necessary, and continue on my way.

There is, of course, a point to be made that if you're going to be idle, or going to have a long span of OOCness where you're totally not playing any angle of the game, or if you're going to go AFK, you should just deHUD first as a preventative measure. So maybe I'm just being idealistic by thinking that opportunistic assbags won't, or in some sense "shouldn't," attack at such times. But, well, I don't remember this having been such a problem in the past...
    Whatever shit Wastelanders do, however dirty or bloody or batshit random it is, it comes right from our gritty, fucked up little hearts, and that's beautiful.

You should be happy when people dehud, it saves you the time and effort and ammo having to kill them completely. Dehudding has Always been an admission of defeat. You are conceding to the other player when you dehud. You are not "spoiling" anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironblood View Post
    You should be happy when people dehud, it saves you the time and effort and ammo having to kill them completely. Dehudding has Always been an admission of defeat. You are conceding to the other player when you dehud. You are not "spoiling" anything.
    I'm competitive by nature and while I may not be the best fighter I like to give it my all. I would rather win by taking a person out or die trying. I know a win is a win and I should take them where I can get them, but when people dehud it just annoys me. I could have spent that time fighting someone else, salvaging or digging up information.

I also realize mistakes happen and people need to log so I try and be flexible... but the reason this has been brought up again is that some people are taking advantage of this to trick other players into wasting their ammo. If what I was told turns out to be true this "spoils" the game for other people, but again this is just my opinion.
    You know... you look like your head fell in the cheese dip back in 1957.

If anyone is being douchy like that (groups of people some without huds on, swapping huds, confusing players), send me an IM. I will set them straight.
    [EDIT: Moar]

I know it really sucks, and I haven't seen these people myself, but if I do they're getting a stern warning and perhaps a temporary ban if they continue it. I didn't make the game so people could fuck with other peoples game. As far as I am concerned they're either doing one of two things.
    • Being dicks to protest a flaw in the game system in an attempt to force me to make a "you're wearing a hud" thing, or...
    • Being dicks in general just to fuck with people.
    Either way I won't tolerate the dickbaggery going on. The game is pretty much free, and because it is, I decide who plays and who doesn't. I work too hard on this estate, and I'd rather code a "list of people to instantly kill ALL THE TIME IN ANY SIM" than make a bug fix for v1. If people want to push, I can push back the hardest.

I really want a list of people. You shall remain anonymous in your reporting.
    The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

Default Issues of Running to Hub/masheen for safety

I've noticed a trend of people running to the hub or masheens to avoid being beat on recently, and it seems to happen more and more often. In the past when this happened, we just beat on each other anyhow, because it was cowardly. Recently, however, multiple people have attempted to use it as an excuse to avoid fighting after engaging, and threaten to 'report' after they get knocked down while doing it... My question is, are they allowed to do this? I understand the safe zone thing for most circumstances, but it seems a bit unfair if one can simply run there to avoid consequences of wearing a hud. Just my thoughts.

Let's add a bit more details here, Malice, about the specific events that just took place - shall we? Because I also have a question to post, that being Exactly how long are we "targets" expected to run before finally having to end it based on RL circumstances and the fact the I just was not able to allow you to chase me around for an additional 30 minutes.

This was not a matter of running into the bunker to avoid the kill. Ha! running around the sims was enough to avoid being killed because in the "30-ish +" minutes that you chased me you hit me maybe 3 times. No, I did not keep a count of the hits but it was exceptionally minimal, since when I finally had to end your chase I was at 98% health. So this was not a matter of running to avoid being killed as you'd like to think - because you were not killing me. There was no role-playing involved, there was no story line, and Yes - I know there does not need to be. But to just be chased, unarmed, for an hour as you were hoping to do, was not an idea of fun for me so going to the bunker I THOUGHT would've been a good place to tell you I had to go for a bit, thanks for the chase, but you continued to whack at me. Put a notch on your bedpost. way to go. But your fighting skills sucked, I ran for as long as I could run and allowed you to chase me, but in all honesty it was kind of boring. At that rate it would've taken all day for you to kill me.

I'll continue to come around and meet people, try to engage in role play scenarios, and continue to salvage in the hopes of finding enough to make myself a weapon. Having you whack at me while I was standing still in the bunker wasn't fun, but I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

All of that being said, is the bunker a "safe spot" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Exactly how long are we "targets" expected to run before finally having to end it based on RL circumstances and the fact the I just was not able to allow you to chase me around for an additional 30 minutes.

This was not a matter of running into the bunker to avoid the kill. Ha! running around the sims was enough to avoid being killed because in the "30-ish +" minutes that you chased me you hit me maybe 3 times.

All of that being said, is the bunker a "safe spot" or not?
    The only relevant issues here. There is no time limit to a chase, and while you may have stopped with a high health percentage after running around in circles and jumping over everything possible to escape, that does not change the fact that you acknowledged running to a 'safe zone' for escape. Since you want to bring details, we could add in the berating you attempted to give me in an IM over the issue, instead of calmly explaining yourself, or the personal insults. That is irrelevant, however. The issue remains that you knew you were not safe, and there is no guarantee that I would stop chasing. If you wish to present the whole story, then do not omit pertinent information. That is dishonest. What I wrote originally was the issue at hand. You merely attempted to present the scenario in a negative light.

This is the Wastelands, and a game. You win AND lose in games, and I often die a lot since I came back and am very rusty on combat. Why can't you simply accept the fact that not everyone will simply give up on a kill? ICly there is reason for this as well, but you didn't stick around to roleplay it. You simply raged at me. I actually enjoy roleplay a lot, and combat is only a small part of it. You failed to consider that I might have had an intent to give a reason for it, or try to engage you on a not so personal level.

And as for RL circumstances, they didn't stop you from standing at the machine and insulting me while threatening to 'report' me for a full fifteen minutes afterwards, nor did it prevent you from rage replying to this post. I fail to see the validity in that assertion.

I don't see why the RL circumstances are such as issue for you, Malice, but if you need to know I could hear my little one waking up in the background and knew my "playtime" on Second Life was coming near to an end. You had more free time than I did. That's the only difference here. And you got annoyed when you thought I was trying to "escape". Heaven forbid that you chase someone and not be allowed to "finish them" eh?

As for you having an intent to give reason for the combat, when was that going to be? After another 30 minutes of chase? After an hour of you blindly swinging at me. Yes, it is a game. Yes, people win or they lose. Thank you for stating the Obvious. But I'd like to know how I was "dishonest" and what pertinent information I omitted. It just seems you have an idea in your head that I was looking to avoid being killed. As I stated before, there are times when things IRL prevent us from running sims for an hour. And that simply is all that happened. If that area was off-limits, I stand by what I said. You cheated. If it is ok to be attacked there, then I was wrong. Simple as that.